Sunday, May 1, 2011

39 to 39: Soccer Mom!


My whole life all I wanted to be was a Mom. The process of becoming a Mom has been an interesting metamorphisis of self. Yesterday was one of those days. A day when everything I thought I would love about parenting... wasn't so fun. Isabelle had a 10:10 a.m. soccer game. This spring soccer session has been very cold, snowy and rainy. It has not been fun at all. Yesterday was no exception. When the game started it was just cold. I found myself swept into the game. Screaming directions and compliments at Isabelle. Perry followed her up an down the field giving her pointers. By the end of the first quarter it had begun to drizzle. The rain was light but bearable. At the half it was really raining. And by 3rd quarter it was pouring. When the wind picked up I cold feel the rain drops move through my three layers: coat, sweatshirt, shirt and penetrating my skin. The rain felt like icy cold daggers. The game was being officiated by teenagers. I stood there praying that they would call the game. They did not. I shivered and cheered in time to the pelting rain. I was so distracted by discomfort I don't even know who won.

On the way home, we laughed and chalked it all up to a great memory.

Once at home, we hit the showers to thaw. After warming up and putting warm dry clothes on I said to Perry: "I'm a terrible soccer mom." To which Perry quickly replied: "You are a great soccer mom. You stood in the rain and watched your daughter play."

Yesterday I learned that being a soccer mom isn't a title or a club membership. Being a soccer mom is just that "being" a soccer mom. I don't have to enjoy it all, I just get to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment