Saturday, April 23, 2011

39 to 39: When I think of Easter...


Today our church served the community by putting on an Easter Egg hunt. We had over 700 people come through Micon Cinema in a 2 hour span of time. It was chaotic and fun. I was a widget volunteer. I was given a job (to stand at the door of theater 8) and greet 1rst and 2nd grade egg hunters. About half way into the morning a little girl with sparkling eyes looked up at me and said: "I know you?" Without hesitation I reached down and hugged her. Luckily I actually recalled her name as well. A moment after the greeting her mother walked by with the same eye sparkle. The family was truly having fun together!

I have thought about that encounter throughout the afternoon. This family has visited our church a few times over a few years. So often I am busy with process and I miss people. Have I missed this little girl, even when she was sitting in my Sunday School class? Have I looked her mother in the eyes and welcomed her? Have I been present with these people? Today, I was very comfortable with who I was and what my role was. I was able to genuinely engage with the folks who came to my theater.

After dinner our family watched the newest VeggieTale: Twas the Night Before Easter. I was struck by the simple theme, people over production. The finale has a catchy tune: "When I think of Easter... I think about God's love." Today, I was able to love. Not because I have something to give... but because I know of the gift given for me.

I am as ADD as the next person... I can get distracted very easily. My prayer for tonight and tomorrow is: "When I think of Easter... I think about God's love." And I challenge myself to take it one step further. "When I think of Easter.... I want to demonstrate God's LOVE."

No comments:

Post a Comment