Monday, May 9, 2011

39 to 39: A Daunting Task


This morning I mentioned to my husband that I missed blogging yesterday. My mental excuse was: "It was Mother's Day. My day! I just wanted to enjoy." But it was Perry's response that opened me to be more honest. He said: "Blogging every day was a very daunting goal." Hmmm. Perry's empathy was amazing. He didn't guilt, shame or even relate with me. He simply acknowledged the enormity of the task. His empathy gave me permission to "be." And it gave me the courage to say.... "I'm not blogging every day and I'm releasing myself from the goal." The goal hasn't been fitting into my real life... so I'm letting it go.

I want to get better at empathy, for my sake, the sake of my family and my friends. Empathy, as defined by Brene Brown, is the skill or ability to tap into our own experiences in order to connect with an experience someone is relating to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment