Friday, May 20, 2011

I want to live in the LIGHT!


"But if we live in the light, as God does, we share in life with each other. And the blood of his Son Jesus washes all our sins away." - 1 John 1:7

Last night my husband and I watched Vince Vaughn in The Dilemma. It started off funny. And then took a turn in the middle. I found myself squirming and covering my face with the bed sheets. Vince catches his best friend's wife fooling around. His dilemma is whether or not to tell his friend. There are many other complicating factors. His unpredictable behavior led his loved ones to assume he was struggling with gambling again and a maddening downward spiral ensued. For half the movie I had knots in my stomach and I kept saying, out loud: "Just tell the truth." I felt bad for his girlfriend, because she assumed the worse. When one person is hiding the truth, a dark shadow is caste over all of us.

This morning I woke up and read our kids their devotions before school. The verse above really struck me. The devotion by Sara Young read: "Give it to Me, all of it. Tell me your sins and hand over that backpack. I want to dump out all the heavy rocks. Then I want to fill your backpack up again with love, mercy, forgiveness, joy and peace. Instead of weighing you down, these will lift you up and make your journey easier."

Every day that Vince Vaughn walked around with his "secret" his backpack got heavier. Each lie separated him from his loved ones. This reality has challenged me to empty my backpack, tell the truth as soon as I can, share with others the insights I have into my actions and reactions. Jesus beckons us to unload our backpacks and pick up peace... which is not heavy... instead is light and brings life.

No comments:

Post a Comment