Wednesday, May 4, 2011

39 to 39: Haircut


Yesterday morning my son Will noticed his Dad, Perry reading my blog. He said, and I quote: "I am so embarrassed that Mom posted that picture." He said it with a knowing smile. Will's haircut ended up being a Mom/Son compromise. We had the back and sides short, #2 razor and he got to keep some length on the top. We had a discussion about taming his curls. I suggested that if he wants to keep it longer he has to learn to style it. Funny conversation to have with my son. He told me he knew how to use gel and that I didn't need to teach him. When asked the last time he used gel, he said: "Kindergarden." We all laughed! That was 6 years ago.

How time goes by! When Will was three years old my role as a Mom consisted of the following pattern. We got up, ate breakfast, played Thomas trains, watched a Thomas movie, ate lunch, took a nap, played Thomas trains, watched a Thomas movie while I made dinner, took a bath and went to bed. Every morning I woke up knowing exactly what to expect. Life has changed a lot since those toddler years. I have changed a lot since Will was a toddler. And Jael, my 4 year old has had a very different growing up experience entirely.

All three of my kids are unique. Each child has grown up in a different "home." Perry and my marriage has changed and grown over the years. I have changed and grown over the years. Nothing stays the same. I have glimmers of nostalgia when I look at my 4 foot, 5 inch almost middle school aged son but then I relish the moments we have right now. The wonderful, interesting, thought provoked young man who I get to do life with now.

It is a great honor to be a mother! It is a great gift to be a mother to these 3 kids.

1 comment:

  1. I often wonder what my daughter will be "in" to... What new character or show or whatever :)

    ReplyDelete