Saturday, May 7, 2011

39 to 39: The magic of a Barbie Bike


A few weeks ago our family decided to bike together this summer. It was a bold declaration, especially since only one member of our family of five had a bike that currently worked. Over the past month we have been bike shopping. Looking at styles, models, and what would best fit each of our biking needs. At the first stop my 4 year old daughter, Jael spotted a Barbie Bike. She instantly fell in love. My husband and I aren't big on "character" purchases so we dismissed the wish.

After five stores and lots of window shopping Jael never waivered on her choice: a pink Barbie bike with ribbons on the handle bars and a Barbie messenger bag attached to the front.

We kept stalling on our purchase. It was in part to the rainy, dreary spring we were having. And in part just the cost of purchasing 4 bikes. But, just last week someone offered my son a near new bike that was just his size. With that gift, I had a chat with Perry. Realizing that Jael was our youngest and that the desire for a pink Barbie bike was unlikely in the coming years I asked if we could splurge and buy it. Of course he said YES! (I'm the tight wad).

Jael and I went to the store. She rode the bike and it was love. I asked her to try a princess bike just to be sure. She got off and on and said: "Mom this one just doesn't feel right." Jael rode the Barbie bike right out of the store. Later, at home while I was cutting off the tags Jael hugged me around the neck and said: "Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Mommy."

Barbie Bike: $66.00
Appreciation from my 4 year old: Priceless

2 comments:

  1. I have so many memories of my pink banana seat bike with streamers and flowered basket. I always pretended it was a Barbie bike. My Barbie often rode along in my basket : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! It will be your turn soon: "Mom to be" soon.

    ReplyDelete